Poll

What OS do you use for your jukebox projects?

DOS
8 (13.6%)
Windows 95/98
5 (8.5%)
Windows XP
18 (30.5%)
Windows Vista
1 (1.7%)
Windows 7
7 (11.9%)
Windows 8
4 (6.8%)
I wish I could use Linux
16 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: What Operating Systems are being used?  (Read 5110 times)

DJ Pablo

• View Profile
What Operating Systems are being used?
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:52:20 AM »
Chris brought up the point of not knowing what operating systems are being used on your jukeboxes. Is there anyone still using DOS?, and if so, is support still needed? I myself still run mine on XP Home, and with MS pulling the plug next year, Win7 Home64 might be the upgrade.

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DWJukebox
Re: What Operating Systems are being used?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
Anyone using DOS for a jukebox is using it as an embedded system, for which it is still perfectly suitable.  The problem these days is finding sound cards with decent DOS drivers.  A lot of times the DOS driver is inferior to the Windows one (say, using an 8-bit mixer instead of a 16-bit one).  XP also makes for a great embedded system, especially on the older hardware one might be willing to relegate to jukebox duty (a jukebox doesn't need fancy multi-core hardware).

But yes, it would be great for people to chime in on the OS you are likely to use as your jukebox.  I am fairly tied up with work lately but it has been years since I did any serious work on the jukebox and it's time to move it forward.  But that means updating the framework, which DOS compatibility complicates.

Chris

dermbrian

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll be the only "Windows 8" reply.  Good idea to have a poll.  I don't know how many people that use the software actually read the forums, though.  Probably not many.

LHUPA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:51:56 PM »
So, I wish that DWJukebox will suit all OS including all Linux versions to render it available to anyone on this planet as an universal package structure! The little jukebox software must get what it merits!...

trissa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
Thanks Again Chris, love the jukebox!

I would like to echo the desire to be able to run on Linux.

Jukebox on!

ghengis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
Chris I love this jukebox too. Best out there. i run it using Dos EMU under Ubuntu. It's the only thing that can handle something as low power as what I want to use. I was able to configure it so it thinks Dos EMU is a voip phone, so my stores background music automatically fades out when the jukeboxs starts.

I'd love to see it run under linux nativly, it would add a lot of use, and let folks build jukeboxes on Raspberry Pi's, which I think there is a desire for.

Thanks for all the hard work. Put me in the loop if you need help with testing.

jukingeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Anyone using DOS for a jukebox is using it as an embedded system, for which it is still perfectly suitable.  The problem these days is finding sound cards with decent DOS drivers.  A lot of times the DOS driver is inferior to the Windows one (say, using an 8-bit mixer instead of a 16-bit one).  XP also makes for a great embedded system, especially on the older hardware one might be willing to relegate to jukebox duty (a jukebox doesn't need fancy multi-core hardware).

But yes, it would be great for people to chime in on the OS you are likely to use as your jukebox.  I am fairly tied up with work lately but it has been years since I did any serious work on the jukebox and it's time to move it forward.  But that means updating the framework, which DOS compatibility complicates.

Chris

Hello Chris (and all).  As you know, I have been an avid fan of DW Jukebox for a long time and to this day I still use it.  I am using it on Windows XP since it is the easiest to set up on that OS.   Would I LIKE to use it on DOS, definitely, but the underlying issue is that for DOS you need a very old computer that has a compatible sound card.   Usually such an old machine wouldn't be compatible with today's new storage media which mostly takes advantage of USB.  The only way around that is if you use one of those Compact Flash / SD to IDE adapters so the DOS computer thinks it is hooked up to a hard drive.

Now, I know I mentioned it several times before, but I think going in the direction of Linux could be a cure all.  Granted it isn't without it's problems either, but you can choose quite a few different OS flavors within Linux that can run on modern machines as well as old, or not so old clunkers.  Audio drivers are usually in place and load up through the OS.   What more is if you don't want a GUI and want a more text based system, like DOS, that runs fast on old machines, you can go that route too.   What I am getting at is that there are flavors of Linux that cater to embedded work as well.

Even in the realm of Mame, there are more and more people wanting to build a Mame system using Linux as the OS.  In most cases the setup and installation of the OS is much faster than dealing with Windows and the constant loading and rebooting every time you want to add something to the OS.  With Linux many times you don't have to reboot, you just install the item you want and go.

Since we are always moving forward with computer technology, soon it will be hard to find a computer that mainly used DOS, and didn't have USB ports.   As for sound compatibility the SB16 has long been a relic along with the ISA slot that it goes in. 

I would say that if you are seriously thinking about changing DWJukebox, you probably would be best heading down the Linux path.  Of course that is just my opinion.

Geo
Exit Light, Enter Night, Take my hand, We're off to Never Never Land.

Stezstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:17:29 AM »
Hi Chris, It's been a long time, I'm still building the jukebox I started about 4 years ago.
Ive had a few direction changes but the machine works I've incorperated built in amplifier and speakers with a sub. I'm in the final stages of fitting into the unit I aquired, this is proving difficult as once the main board is out of the computer case, mounting it and supporting the GFX card and sound card is proving to be a pain. I have considered using a Raspberry PI for the juke box with all the music stored on an external HDD in a caddie but then I realised DW wouldn't run on it as its linux based, then I thought what about a DOS emulator for the PI but that left a load of issues too and the Touch screen would have been a issue so I went back to finishing it with the Windows machine I built for it.
Turned off Microsoft's machine distroying update system and the machine runs like clockwork. I'd say its the fastest machine I have so tell me again why I should update my machines?
Anyway chap keep up the good work as soon as figured the internal structure of the JB I'll up some photos.
Guy
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:49:16 PM by Stezstyx »

jph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
Jukebox runs under Linux Mint with wine , but the animation is a bit slow

best regards from austria
peter
Best regards

Peter