Author Topic: led control  (Read 932 times)

THE LONGPLAYER

• View Profile
led control
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:20 AM »
Hi all

I am trying to set up a method of controling the led's in illuminated buttons as is done in gaming machines.  I would have something like- track buttons illuminate when pressed and turn off when select is pressed etc.  I understand that there are control boards out there but these appear mostly in use on MAME game machines. How do I go about this on my jukebox project?

I am also hoping to look int how to use a dot matrix display to show the 'now playing' track using the display.txt file in the program.  Any ideas on that one?

THANKS

THE LONGPLAYER

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DWJukebox
Re: led control
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 12:52:36 AM »
DWJukebox has experimental LED support.  It theoretically can control the Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs but it only works on DOS so I never documented or officially released this feature.

As far as the dot-matrix display, you'll need to use something like LCD Smartie to send the display.txt to the LCD display.  This is something I've never actually done, but theoretically it should work.

Chris

THE LONGPLAYER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 04:24:41 AM »
Hi Chris.

I am about to start playing around with LedBlinky and see what I can do.  It is going to be a longer term experiment but I will post results at a later date.

Thanks

LONGPLAYER

BobBoring

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:57:44 PM »
Hello Longplayer,
  I haven't seen any update on your led button issue. If you are still looking for a solution you can check out my JB build using a Arduino board to handle all inputs to the DW application and control the button
RGB leds. https://youtu.be/mNt3cUORvak    I currently working on some custom led programing for it now and will post images on this forum once completed.

Bob

THE LONGPLAYER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 03:58:23 AM »
Hi Bob.

No updates as I have not spent much time on the jukebox project lately.  -  Moved house, new kitchen, new bathroom..........!
However I am now settled and retired so have more time to develop things.
I must congratulate you on your jukebox build.  It is by far the best I have seen.  I love the lighting.
I have not had any dealings at all with Arduino so that would be a whole new area of exploration for me.
Like you, I spent some time getting details of jukeboxes including dimensions and in the end settled for modelling mine on the
Rowe Ami R3, so no bubble tubes on this one.  I really must get around to photos of the project so far.
I used the BJrock28 skin but have modified it to almost beyond recognition.  Lots of other goodies added including some relay/timer modules to perform a variety of jukebox type functions.
I had intended to use  the I-Pac keyboard encoder ( not yet purchased ) but are you saying that I can use the Arduino for this purpose and set up a program for lighting control with the same unit? If so, then that would be the way for me to go.

Many thanks

Longplayer

BobBoring

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
Longplayer, 
   Yep, Arduino boards are the way to go if you want plenty of flexibility in you projects.  There are several different boards out there and best of all, they are cheap ( under $10.00).   I am using a Arduino 5v mini to run my JB keyboard and neo-pixels led push button display. The boards can communicate serial over the usb cable directly to the DW application on the PC and also can controls 16 different input/output devices.  Which in my case is 16 push buttons and  75  neo-pixel LEDS.

The Arduino chips are programmed using C+  IDE application which is a free download from the Arduino Website.  Best of all, there is a Ton of sites and forums out there for help.  When I stated my project I didn't know much about programming so a bought a couple of arduino books and watched a lot of online videos.  I did have a small learning curve but it was worth the time because recently I been building all sorts of smart home devices using these boards.

My Jukebox actually uses two Arduinos  boards.  One for the KeyBoard inputs and push-button leds and a second Aruduino AtMeg2560 to operate the power relays and programming of the three main lighting TUBEs on the front.  I hope by the end of the week I'll get time to post my latest and crazy LEd effects.

Good luck
with you JB project
also like to see Pictures

Bob

THE LONGPLAYER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
Hi Bob

All sounds very interesting.  As I said, I have not explored the Arduino route as yet so I guess now is the time to research.
My project so far consists of the cabinet which is about half-way to being complete, and the building up of the pc ( vista ) based hardware/software unit.  I have used a heavily customized BJ rock 28 skin and built my system around that.
I am using Eventghost to control various functions and through this I have got eight different jukebox installations which are selectable by push-button.  ie. 60's, country music, chart hits, etc.
I wanted to be able to use the pc on/off button to switch on and off the tv screen monitor, amplifier and other bits and pieces.  I have done this using a collection of 12volt relay/timer modules so that the sound and screen do not fire up until after the operating system has loaded and Dwjukebox is on the screen.
I really now have to get to grips with the lighting.
I will keep you posted.  Please do likewise and if you can point me in the right direction on Arduino use I would be most grateful.

Longplayer

THE LONGPLAYER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 04:00:05 AM »
Hi all

I have still done nothing about lighting control but I have built a unit to simulate key presses using a good old keyboard unit.
I had the good fortune to pick up an elderly USB keyboard which in it's day had been a top of range model.  As all of you who have ever tried soldering all those wires to the controller board edge connector know, it is not easy.  The controller in this keyboard had got ribbon cable connectors soldered to the board with through pins.  I was able to de-solder and remove the connectors leaving me with holes to poke my wires through and solder up.  I then used a piece of copper strip perforated board (Veroboard) to make all of my connections for the various outputs.  I actually have 32 outputs and am at present using 25 of these.
Now  -  back to working out some lighting control

Longplayer