Author Topic: GENRE select feature upon startup  (Read 2864 times)

DonLane

• View Profile
GENRE select feature upon startup
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
No... have never seen a Jukebox with the ability to sort by or selct by Gebre of the song. However, with this "digital" version of a Jukebox, much can be done that the old real Jukeboxes could never do.

My thought (only as a possible idea or stretched wishlist item), would be to be able to SELECT a Genre (in this case DIRECTORY) at the beginning of the startup of DWJukebox, where you could load "ONLY" a specific type of Genre (music type - Pop, Rock, Oldies, Classical, Country, Soul, etc), to be able to custom stage a Jukebox collection for a specific MOOD, PARTY, or Group of Listeners at the time of loading & playing.  Of course... a nice display screen for this option could enhance the program, but is not necessarily needed.  Just the ability to select the genre type, via keyword link, or buttons, with set references to specific folders on the computer. (keeping both simple as well as within a specific area or folders on your drive.)

This means you could (as an example) load a COUNTRY MUSIC theme, and have only country music songs listed, instead of having to page through hundreds of song titles looking for a country song.
Same goes for Pop, Rock, Oldies, or even HOLIDAY music.

..just a thought.
Thanks!

DonLane

• View Profile
Re: GENRE select feature upon startup
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
Okay folks...  This may not be the best way, or most direct way to do it, but...  I have created some files and a startup, then folders to accomidate the ability to Open DWJukebox with GENRE specific Music list and songs.
It may not be the best, but have tested it and it works fine.
Yes.. a little funky (sorry) but until a better method comes up, if you wish to do this, it does work.

Created a BATCH STARTUP FILE (placed on Desktop via Shortcut)
Start file called - INI_Choice.bat (yes... a DOS Batch file) -(because of it being an executable, cannot attach. Therefore will list the contents at the end of this post for you..
You will have to EDIT this file to match the choices & Genre's you create on your own computer!
It should be simple enough when you look at it, however be careful to ensure you change EAXH reference accordingly.
(Menu list, selction command, and subroutines for each genre)
*Place this file - when completed, into the Directory where you have your DWJukebox INI file and start file.

Created on my computer (you will have to change REFERENCE to your MUSIC file locations, as you have setup), called MUSIC, then within that folder have several SubFolders named according to the Type of Music I placed in them. 
Example - ROCK, POP, COUNTRY, DANCE, CLASSICS, HOLIDAY, OLDIES, etc.
These of course - hold the type of music as per Genre

Next - you will have to COPY your jukebox.ini file and place this into the SAME Directory as the original and the startup.
Open (in EDIT mode - recommend you use NOTEPAD) the COPIED INI file and go to (the line) where it references the SongPath.
Change this SongPath to wherever you have your music placed on your drive.
Mine shows like this...
SongPath1 = C:\MUSIC\OLDIES

SAVE and CLOSE, then RENAME the INI FILE to show what Genre it has been modified for. Example - jukeboxROCK.ini  - for ROCK Music - (You will see examples of names in the batch file I made).
Do and repeat this COPY step for EACH Genre you wish to use. (you shold get the idea... so if you have 10 Genres, you should have 10 INI files accordingly. (plus the original)

Once done with creating the folders & placing in Music, along with creating and modifying the Batch file (with shortcut on desktop), you can then Run the shortcut to start DWJukebox.
It should prompt you for a letter for selection of Genre, make appropriate changes, then start the Jukebox.
Jukebox should then re-initialize the Database and display your specific Genre selections on the Song List (cards)

INI_CHOICE.bat (batch file content - below)

@ECHO OFF
CLS
:LOOP
ECHO A. Menu item A -POP
ECHO B. Menu item B -COUNTRY
ECHO C. Menu item C -OLDIES
ECHO D. Menu item D -ROCK
ECHO E. Menu item E -HOLIDAY
ECHO F. Menu item F -CLASSICS
ECHO G. Menu item G -SOUL
ECHO H. Menu item H -JAZZ
ECHO I. Menu item I -HEAVY
ECHO J. Menu item J -DANCE
ECHO Q. Quit
:: SET /P prompts for input and sets the variable
:: to whatever the user types
SET Choice=
SET /P Choice=Type the letter and press Enter:
:: The syntax in the next line extracts the substring
:: starting at 0 (the beginning) and 1 character long
IF NOT '%Choice%'=='' SET Choice=%Choice:~0,1%
ECHO.
:: /I makes the IF comparison case-insensitive
IF /I '%Choice%'=='A' GOTO ItemA
IF /I '%Choice%'=='B' GOTO ItemB
IF /I '%Choice%'=='C' GOTO ItemC
IF /I '%Choice%'=='D' GOTO ItemD
IF /I '%Choice%'=='E' GOTO ItemE
IF /I '%Choice%'=='F' GOTO ItemF
IF /I '%Choice%'=='G' GOTO ItemG
IF /I '%Choice%'=='H' GOTO ItemH
IF /I '%Choice%'=='I' GOTO ItemI
IF /I '%Choice%'=='J' GOTO ItemJ
IF /I '%Choice%'=='Q' GOTO End

ECHO "%Choice%" is not valid. Please try again.
ECHO.
GOTO Loop

:ItemA
ECHO Insert commands for Item A.
COPY /Y jukebox.ini jukeboxBACKUP.ini
COPY /Y jukeboxPOP.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemB
ECHO Insert commands for Item B.
COPY /Y jukeboxCOUNTRY.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemC
ECHO Insert commands for Item C.
COPY /Y jukeboxOLDIES.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemD
ECHO Insert commands for Item D.
COPY /Y jukeboxROCK.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemE
ECHO Insert commands for Item E.
COPY /Y jukeboxHOLIDAY.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemF
ECHO Insert commands for Item F.
COPY /Y jukeboxCLASSICS.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemG
ECHO Insert commands for Item G.
COPY /Y jukeboxSOUL.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemH
ECHO Insert commands for Item H.
COPY /Y jukeboxJAZZ.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemI
ECHO Insert commands for Item I.
COPY /Y jukeboxHEAVY.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:ItemJ
ECHO Insert commands for Item J.
COPY /Y jukeboxDANCE.ini jukebox.ini
GOTO Again

:Again
ECHO -- INI FILE has been BACKED UP
ECHO ---------- SELECTION HAS BEEN MADE and FILE CHANGED
PAUSE
CLS
WINCAB.EXE
REM GOTO Loop
:End

ONE LAST COMMENT -
It may be possible for you to do this, but instead of referencing a Folder/Directory for your music, might also be able to reference your Primary CDRom DISK Drive instead.  Therefore - Could select your Genre of Music by placing an Appropriate CD into your drive that contains that style music.  Genre would not have to be selected, but instead decided by the disk inserted. This might be capable by changing your INI file to reference the CD Drive, instead of creating numerous references and files. ???
I have not tried this, but might just to see if works. (a typical CDR can hold an average of approx 120 songs on one disk - DVD - much more). Good luck!

Scudder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
Just one question. 

Will the same database be used in combination with each genre and as such, will it get really large as I have over 4000 songs to index divided between my different genres?

Robert

DonLane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »
If not mistaken... The Database (Jukebox database) is built and/or updated from the directory or location where you tell it that the music is located.  Therefore, it will have only the music in that location and will not retain any data from previous selctions or locations. (unless you have turned off or not selected update database at the start of the Jukebox program (which I think is a setting in your .ini file.). So... if updated at the start, for the folder you direct it to, it will not affect your 4000 songs, but will also not include them in your screen selections. (as you would only want the Genre you select to show anyway, plus if you have a very large selection, would take considerable time to register and update the database.  Something you would not wish to have or wait on. The DB update does not read the TAGS for a sort function or selection process, to determine the genre set or stated within the Tags. If you don't wish to use the CD metod, then use the FOLDER method, which would allow for changes, additions, and updates. Keep in mind the more songs, the longer the process and heavier load on the memory requirements. My current Jukebox library has approx 1000 songs, and takes approx 3-5 minutes to load at the start.  Please note... I am not affiliated with the program or creators of.. I only use it, and this is what I have found or learned as I go.  Good luck. (I am hoping that maybe they might update & improve the program someday)

DonLane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
Sorry... in answer to your database question (if you did not get the idea or settings), the database will contain ONLY the Genre you select or tell it where to go.  If you tell it to access a Folder which holds 2000 songs, it will load and list 2000 songs.  If you tell it to load a folder containing 50 songs, the database and list will have only 50 shown. This is where having individual folders for type of Genre comes in handy.  I myself hold a folder (called My45s) specifically for my Jukebox, while my Master Music Library contains both those and all others.  I do not try to load everything, as it would only bog down and makes it a nightmare to scroll through the card lists to find a specific song. Use common sense here... I recommend no more than a thousand songs per folder you plan to use for Jukebox.  This does not mean you can't store your whole music library someplace. I keep mine on an external drive specifically for music. My staged Jukebox songs are of course "Dupes" of ones in my master library. Best regards to All.

jukejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
wouldt it be simpler to use fe simpletouch thats what i do with images for rock and pop etc just touch the image cover and dw opens with all the tracks for that genre plus it looks smart also